My guess is that the manure was not fully composted when you got it and put it down. My guess is that the salt levels were too high for your plants. 5 You will need to water the area thoroughly and deeply several times over the next couple of weeks to flush salts out of the root area.
Salt damage might look like yellowing leaves, stunted growth and scorched leaves. Another thing that can happen to compost that is not aerated properly is that it can become toxic to plants. The telltale sign again is an ammonia or vinegar smell.
By Dick Jackson